Saturday, August 2, 2008

2 weeks later...

Mabel loving on my husband. He is her favourite person!
Mabel thinks daycare is a-ok.
She is ALWAYS smiling.

So, 2 weeks have passed since Mabel's arrival in Chicago and things just keep getting better and better with her! We started out with some difficulties between her and my own dogs. They, especially my female, were not happy about the new (albeit temporary) addition. Things are slowly improving and I would say they are living in about 90% harmony at this point.

Mabel is gaining weight like crazy. Last Wednesday she weighed in at a solid 47 lbs and the vet says that she only needs to gain 3-5 more lbs to be at her ideal weight. So in 1 month she has gone from an emaciated 33 lbs to a healthy, if a smidge skinny, 47lbs. She is happy and full of energy.
Psychologically she is a very different dog from the scared, aggressive bag of bones that Michelle pulled 1 month ago. She is loving and oh so affectionate with my husband and I. She wags her tail for everyone that she meets, and nuzzles anyone that will let her! She goes to daycare 2-3 days a week and plays well with all kinds of different dogs. She accepts new situations willingly and adjusts very quickly. There are, however, a few things that she is afraid of. Namely hairdryers, drills and shovels. We are working on all these things!

Mabel and my first trip to Petco will forever be seared in my memory as one of the most heartwarming moments of my life. She hesitated at the door for about 7 seconds before finding the courage to dive in. As soon as she did she was in Heaven! We spent 1 hour in there walking up and down the aisles, and I'm pretty sure she sniffed everything in the store twice. She smiled non-stop and everyone that met her fell in love with her. It was so wonderful to see her so happy.

Even though I am watching all this with my own eyes, it is still hard to believe the leaps and bounds of improvements that she has made in the last month. At the beginning I was truly questioning her chance for survival and now she is living in my house, healthy and loving life. It is such a priveledge to get to watch such a transformation.

No comments: