Monday, July 21, 2008

My doggie family


I have started this blog in the hopes of chronicling my journey through the sad, rewarding, frustrating, fulfilling world of dog rescue. I am just starting out on this path, and I hope that it will be a journey that will last the rest of my life.

First though I should probably introduce myself, or rather my dogs! I am the proud owner of 2 fabulous pit bull terrier mixes. They are the doggie loves of my life.

My husband and I adopted Izzy from a local rescue group when she was 8 weeks old. She was a tiny 9 lb puppy and we fell in love with her the second we say her. She is a pit/lab mix who now weighs in at 48lbs at 13 months old. She is a chocolate and white, red-nosed, wiggly, smiley, people-loving, fetch machine. She has never met a person that she didn't like nor a ball that she didn't want to chase.



Izzy at 8 weeks. Her first day home.
Izzy at 1 year. Tired and happy after a good game of fetch.

I first saw Dudley on a dog-related forum that I frequent. A wonderful woman was fostering him after he was surrendered from a less than ideal situation. In June my husband I drove to AL to meet, and adopt, Dudley. He is an 8 month old, 42 lb, snuggly, cuddly, gentle, patient, goofy, clumsy pit bull/boxer mix, and one of the most easy-going dogs I have ever met. After a somewhat shy start with strangers Dudley is now a confident, people-loving dog. Dudley truly loves love!



Here he is at 7 months old. Just before we adopted him.




Having a 2 dog household is wonderful! Izzy and Dudley are completely in love with each other and my husband and I couldn't be happier. They have quickly become best friends who follow each other everywhere, and mirror each others actions.



Two peas in a pod 2 days after they met!

So that is my doggie family. Now onto the real story...

No comments: