Saturday, July 26, 2008

TheMabelFund

As Mabel was working hard to get healthy at Michelle's house people all over the country, who had seen her picture on the internet, were asking if there was any way they could help her. Most people were looking to donate in some way to Mabel's recovery.

In light of all the requests that I received I decided to set up a fundraising website for Mabel. I felt a little uncomfortable about the whole thing because I had agreed to cover Mabel's medical costs personally, and did not want people to feel obliged to contribute in any way.

This of course was not the case and people came out in amazing numbers to offer support to Mabel. I am still overwhelmed by the generosity that was shown to her, and me, by so many strangers and internet friends. Mabel's fund has been a confirmation of the kindness of strangers, and a true example of humanity.

Before I set up the fund my husband asked me how much I was hoping to raise and I said my goal was $250, and my wildest dream amount was $500. Here is the link to Mabel's page so you can see how far it exceeded my expectations: http://www.firstgiving.net/themabelfund.

I will forever by truly grateful to have felt such kindness in such a personal way. I cannot express how much it has all meant to me.

No comments: